What will you learn
The study will contribute to theoretical reflection, research-based knowledge and knowledge-based practice in the social work field.
In all social work it is central to work with users and various professional groups. That is why we have chosen the profile “Social Work in Partnership” at the program. Despite the fact that user participation and user orientation are emphasized as ideals within the welfare services, the services are criticized for being non-binding words with no binding content.
Work within partnerships
There is a need for the development of new theory and new forms of work and collaboration that strengthen user participation in the field of practice. We have chosen work in partnership as a clarification of how we concretize user participation. Social work in partnership, as we understand it, is primarily about working in partnership between social workers and users, but also working in partnership between services, organizations, users, education and other community institutions. Partnership is understood as a collaboration that is based on equality despite the fact that the participants have different positions and power.
Through work in the master's program, the student shall acquire knowledge, skills and general competence that will enable the students, after graduation, to have the following:
- In-depth knowledge in the social work field with specialized insights into social work in partnership.
- In-depth knowledge of social work values, theory and methods and can analyze professional issues based on partnership, and a critical approach with emphasis on values and relationships in professional practice
- Developed knowledge and skills to work in partnership and become aware of the power and structures that hinder participation and real partnership.
- Can analyze and relate critically and actively to inequalities in power and resources in diverse collaborative relationships.
- Can use knowledge-based methods to promote users' opportunity for real influence and control in their own lives through methods that build on users and the network's resources and promote mastery.
- Can contribute to innovative thinking and innovative social work based on practical, research-based and theoretical knowledge in collaboration with various professional groups, civil society and users.
- Can carry out independent research and development work and disseminate results from this at different levels within social work in collaboration with users.
- Can exercise critical reflection and ethical judgment.
– It is a very good study environment, good unity among students and very good follow-up from the teachers. It is very exciting with so many students with different educational backgrounds in our class. It provides exciting professional discussions.
– Elisabeth Smedsrud, student at Master’s in social work
Why choose this program?
- Key professional content.
- The profile of the study - social work in partnership.
- Close follow-up from teachers.
- Good study environment.
- Flexible study course, collection-based, full-time and part-time.
- Further study opportunities
- PhD studies at VID
- Career opportunities after graduation
- Jobs in, among others, social services, child welfare, the health and care field that require higher level knowledge.
- Jobs in the field of social work.
- Scholarship positions related to researcher education.
Offer to foreign exchange students: