The course enables the PhD students to employ methodological insights and give reasons for choices related to sampling and analytic approaches in their own research projects.
Main subjects of the course
- Quantitative research designs
- The sampling process and data collection
- Analysis strategies on different levels, and different analysis methods
- Mixed-method approaches
- Presentation of quantitative research in international peer-reviewed journal
- Research ethics related to quantitative investigations
The work will consist in a combination of lectures and student activity in group discussions and presentations of PhD projects.
Time and place
Date: Monday 07.02.2021 - Wednesday 09.02.2021
Place: Campus Oslo
- Introduction. Research designs in quantitative methods
- Data collection, questionnaire development, translation/validation, use of instruments
- Hypothesis and testing
- Research ethics
- Population based investigations/epidemiology
- Linking research question with design and method in quantitative and qualitative research – some examples
- RCT - an example
- Oral evaluation and goodbye
Hardy, M. A. and A. Bryman (2009). Handbook of data analysis. Los Angeles, SAGE. Participants choose the 400 pages of the book that is most relevant to their own project.
Participants are required to submit a written text ahead of the course, approximately 1-2 pages. The text should describe the candidates PhD project and reflect on methodological challenges and possibilities in applying quantitative methods. Participants are also required to respond to colleagues’ texts, and to take part in group discussions.
Deadline for submission of written text: January 30, 2021. Please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org.
After the course, the student must submit a written essay of 1.750 words +/- 10% (ca. 5 pages). The essay should reflect and discuss the use of quantitative methods in the candidate’s ongoing PhD project. In order to obtain 5 ECTS, both a satisfactory course attendance (minimum 75%) and an approved essay are required.
Deadline for submission of written paper: 23. March, in Inspera Assessment
You can find more information about Inspera Assessment on our webpages here: https://www.vid.no/en/student/examination/digital-exam/